how times have changed. It is amazing how things can change, even within the hour on this trip. Yesterday was one of the best days so far, potentially THE best. The hike was difficult, but beautiful. We sent our bags ahead by taxi to make the climb easier -specifically for Toni´s ankle. This was the best decision we have made so far. The day was much easier as we had no baggage really. We only took a hip belt full of the necessities - food, water, rain jacket, medical bag, and info. Funny how we have been talking about cleaning out our bags and then we didn´t even carry ours. We have had to eat a bit of crow if you will because we have sort of scoffed at those who send their bags ahead, but man it was nice!!!
Application of this:
We all have baggage and we can choose to pay someone to take it ahead daily if we choose. However, because Christ so willingly paid the cost already, all we have to do is let Him know where they need to go. We do have the choice to pick them bag up or leave them behind. In our case, we can´t leave them behind, but in our Christian life we need to leave them behind and allow the Lord to continue to carry them. Picking them back up only allows us to be weighed down by them again. so, will you send your bag ahead?
Even though the day was so great, it was quickly chagned by the place we stayed. It was dirty, cold, the people were cold, and they turn off the hot water at 1:30 in the afternoon. Of course after hiking up and down a mountain in one day, no one makes it before this time and you want a hot shower because you are FREEZING and sweaty. It was difficult to start this morning with a good attitude because of last night and the experiene with Toni´s bag this morning which we will share when we get home.
Application: We have been intentional about thinking about the fact that we always end up where we are supposed to be. We have been at the right place at just the right time more than we can tell you. Last night was difficult to think about this because we walked an extra three miles to get to this place. However, in our Christian lives the same thing happens. We don´t always know why we are where we are, but nonetheless, we are where we should be.
We plan to arrive in Santiago in time for the pilgrim´s mass at noon on the 17th. We will go to Finisterra on the 18th. THis is the place that was once thought to be the end of the flat world. Our train leaves Santiago on the 19th and we fly out of Paris on the 21st. It is exciting to be at the end because we know we have accomplished much. We are thinking about how we will get you all together to show pics and tell stories. Any suggestions?
We especially can´t wait to show you the pics of where we stayed last night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ok, sounds like the accomodations for last night were memorable, but unfortunately, you might want to forget them. Remember my story about the Del Norte; you will laugh about this someday. I am amazed that you continue to teach me and encourage me to grow spiritually with each passing day. Sharing your stories with others may take years; I hope you are keeping a detailed journal. Sunday school class will be interesting for many months to come. I am working on my classroom in bits and pieces; about two hours at a time is all I can handle. I wish I could send the stuff in that room ahead, but it is all up to me to go through it and figure out what I need to keep and what should be passed along to others or thrown out. I continue to keep you in my prayers and miss you greatly. I have only seen one movie this entire summer. Carson and I saw Get Smart--really stupid, but funny if you watched the tv show. Deb said that Hancock with Will Smith was good, and Mama Mia comes out the 18th. I probably will wait for you guys to get home to see it.
I went to bed last night at 11:30 then woke up at 1:30 and was awake until 4:30. The Lord kept bringing you and Mel to mind throughout this time. The next day I found out Stefanie was up for the same time period. Never doubt that the Lord is watching over you both. Have a safe journey.
Hey, Hey, Hey,
Finished my class yesterday. It was humbling - stretched me like a piece of spandex.
We read Sylvia Plath's poem "Daddy" which in a line berates the dad as being a "bag of god." "Bag" has so many connotations: old bag, wind bag, what's in your bag, that's my bag, baggage, etc.
If I could truly forget what lies behind, I could get a new bag. A NEW BAG! What would I put in it? I COULD SHOP!
Dave and Andrew are helping Dave's friend who is flipping - in Norman. The house is cute!
Can't wait to see you guys.
GP
Hello lovelies,
I am so proud of you and excited to see you and hear all of your stories first-hand.
You two have always been so beautiful, but this journey has certainly brought out your grace, warmth, tenacity and humor. I admire you both so much and admit some envy that you have done such an amazing thing!
Thank you for continuing to share with us and for allowing us to see you when you are humbled and vulnerable. I have certainly been challenged and taken your words to heart.
Continue to be safe and enjoy yourselves.
Love,
Leslie
Post a Comment